Wednesday 10 March 2010

Chickpea and Quinoa salad

I picked up some quinoa at the shop last week and wanted to try it out, so I decided to make a salad. Quinoa is high in protein, which is obviously great for a vegan diet. I was surprised at the texture of the cooked quinoa as it became quite wet and porridgy. Nevertheless is tasted great in this simple salad. James had feta cheese with his (I kept having to stop myself putting a chunk of feta in my mouth when I was preparing it, oh how I love feta!!) and I had a rather disappointing schnitzel of the Veg Deli brand.



Ingredients

Salad:

2 dl cooked quinoa
2 dl cooked chickpeas
1 dl cherry tomatoes, halved
2 red peppers, charred, skinned, deseeded and chopped
1 dl cooked broccoli, cut into small florets (don't overcook, you want crunch!!)
1/2 a red onion, finely chopped
plenty of fresh parsley, chopped

Vinagrette:

Juice of one small lemon
1/2 dl olive oil
3 tbs white wine vinegar
1/2 dl slow roasted tomatoes
1 clove of garlic, minced
1/2 tsp of honey/sugar
Salt and pepper to taste

Mix all the ingredients for the salad in a bowl. Mix the ingredients for the vinagrette in a separate bowl and blend with a stickblender until it is emulsified and slightly thickened. Drizzle over the salad and toss to combine. VoilĂ ! Nutritious and delicious....

1 comment:

  1. Yum, I love quinoa, but it needs an oily vinagrette to taste really good!

    ReplyDelete